The Equality is Priority project (YES) is a national action programme to combat discrimination. The objectives of the project are awareness-raising and capacity building relating to equal treatment and non-discrimination, and the promotion of diversity within Finnish society. Equality is Priority, effective since November 2007, is a joint project by a number of ministries and umbrella organisations and advisory boards that represent groups at risk of discrimination.
The YES project receives funding under the European Commission’s PROGRESS programme (2007-2013) (priority axis: non-discrimination) and the ministries and the Finnish Defence Forces which are involved in the project.
The YES3 project
The priorities for the YES3 project in the programming period 1 November 2009-30 October 2010 are mainstreaming equality, positive action, measuring discrimination and multiple discrimination.
The YES3 project’s functions are:
1) To promote diversity and action to combat discrimination in employment and business and industry
2) To developing guidance on non-discrimination
3) To develop equality planning on the part of the authorities
4) To promote the participation of immigrant youth in society
5) To identify cases of multiple discrimination
6) To work to combat discrimination in sports and athletics
7) To promote the equal treatment of those performing military service
Coordination of the project and contact details
The Ministry of the Interior is responsible for the coordination of the entire YES project. The contact people in the Ministry’s Legal Affairs Unit are: Ms Sinikka Keskinen (sinikka.keskinen(a)intermin.fi) and Ms Krista Murto (krista.murto(a)intermin.fi).
The following are also responsible for the realisation of the functions during the YES3 programming period:
- Ministry of Employment and the Economy (equality in employment and business and industry) / the contact person: Ms Liisa Männistö (liisa.mannisto(a)tem.fi)
- Office of the Ombudsman for Minorities (guidance on non-discrimination) / the contact person: Ms Päivi Okuogume (paivi.okuogume(a)ofm.fi)
- Ministry of Justice (participation of immigrant youth in society) / the contact person: Mr Niklas Wilhelmsson (niklas.wilhelmsson(a)om.fi)
- Finnish Defence Forces – Defence Command (equal treatment of those performing military service) / the contact person: Mr Esa Janatuinen (esa.janatuinen(a)mil.fi)